April 17, 2007

Muhallebili Kadayif~Shredded Filo W/ Pudding



For a long time now I have been wanting to make this dessert. I saw it the first time on Portacal Agaci's website. I read the recipe but it didn't give complete instructions of how to layer the pudding and if you cook the bottom first. I ask a few friends and they all said "Ask Arzu" she makes it the best. Well Arzu lives on the East Coast now and is very busy but I called. She was happy to help me, and laughed at my telling what the other girls said. I tried it out tonight since it was my night to hold sohbet. It was so delicious. It turned out perfect. I was so pleased, Elhumduillah! My friend Fatma said it was the best she had tasted. How sweet of her. OK so try this one it is not too difficult and it will really wow your guest. Afiyet olsun!

Recipe

1 box of shredded filo dough (fresh)
1 stick margarine (melted)
1 stick butter (melted)

Pudding

4.5 cups whole milk
6 tbsp rice flour(full)
2 tbsp sugar

Serbet/Syrup

3.5 C sugar
3 C water
3 drops lemon juice

9/13 cake pan

What to do:

Start by making your Serbet. Add water and sugar to pot and boil untill it thickens, then add drops of lemon. Heavily spread margarine on bottom and side of baking pan. On a cookie sheet, spread out your filo dough. Pour over melted butter/margarine mix. Massage butter/margarine into dough and tear into smaller pieces. Once fully coated, place half of your dough in the bottom of baking pan, or two small pans. Spread evenly. Using the palm of your hand firmly press dough into the bottom of pan. Now make your pudding by adding all ingredients and stirring constantly. Once pudding is very thick, close heat and pour slowly over filo. Let cool on counter for 10 minutes. Now you must place the pudding in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remaining Filo should be brought to center of your pan and covered with a damp paper towel. After one hour is complete remove and place remaining filo on top. Gently push down with palm of your hand. Place in a 350* oven. 20-30 minutes. Make sure that the top is a darker shade of golden brown. After you drizzle your syrup over the color will lighten. Remove from oven and pour cool syrup over top. Let cool on a towel and then when cool enough to touch place in refrigerator. Serve cold.

Note: I made two smaller sized plates, an oblong and a pie plate. To do so you must increase the milk 1 C, 1 tbsp rice flour, 1 tbsp sugar. Just seperate enough dough for each pan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Banu
it looks delicios.I want to taste it,I hope you didnt finish all of it.
I am looking forward your new recipies...

MAKBULE